In the current years, many countries have legalized the use of cannabis mainly for medical purposes. This has come due to scientific research on the benefits of cannabis to human health. However, this chemical component of cannabis is used for medical purposes. It is known as cannabidiol or CBD oil. Another component of cannabis is THC or tetrahydrocannabinol. But this chemical component is psychoactive as it alters normal human body functioning.
The concentration of CBD and THC in cannabis is different. Furthermore, there are more than 100 cannabinoids in cannabis. However, in this article, we want to inform you how cannabidiol is important in treating dementia.
What is Dementia?
This is a disorder that affects the mental health of one. According to the World Health Organization, millions of people die due to dementia annually. However, dementia is not a disease but a term used to describe the signs and symptoms of numerous mental disorders of a patient. Dementia leads to the inability of a person to perform certain activities normally.
Causes of Dementia
This disorder is usually related to affecting old people. But, according to mental specialists, this disorder is not a sign of being old. It is usually caused when brain cells are damaged and are unable to link. Brain cells are very important in our daily life. Therefore, when some are damaged it means that you may lose the ability to perform certain activities as usual.
Signs and Symptoms of Dementia
Most patients who suffer from dementia have the following signs and symptoms:
- Loss of memory. This is the main symptom of patients suffering from dementia exhibit.
- Inability to communicate. People suffering from dementia usually have the challenge to communicate normally. This is because of some of the brain cells that aid communication is damaged.
- Hallucination. Patients suffering from dementia start visualizing things that are not existent.
- Unable to be attentive or focus. This disorder always makes the patient unable to focus on what they are doing. If you notice someone is not able to do a certain activity while paying attention then you need to consult a specialist because they might be suffering from dementia.
- Variation in Tempers. Patients with dementia have changed in tempers within a short time. For most people, close such patients cannot explain the temperamental change.
- Judgmental or Incompetent to Reason clearly. Once you are suffering from dementia you become judgmental or you reason unclearly.
- Depression. This is one of the most common signs you can notice when a patient is suffering from dementia.
- Apprehension. For most patients who are suffering from dementia usually, experience apprehension or anxiety.
Which is the Most Common Dementia Affecting Patients
As you have learned in this article, dementia is not a disorder but a term used to describe a number of symptoms that affect a patient’s mental health. However, Alzheimer is the most common dementia among patients. It has affected millions of patients globally. In addition, many charity organizations are currently striving to raise money to treat patients with Alzheimer.
Alzheimer usually affects patients who are 65 years and above. It is usually challenging to treat this dementia. This is because it will have caused huge brain impairment. Another dementia is known as vascular dementia. This is where the vein transporting blood to the brain gets damaged. This is typically risky because it can cause other brain complications.
Parkinson’s disease is another type of dementia. Other common dementias include:
- Frontotemporal dementia
- Dementia with Lewy Bodies
Can Cannabid oil Treat Dementia?
For years scientist has been on laboratories looking for the best cure or treatment for dementia. But, after successful trial mental specialists have come to accept that CBD oil can be used to tackle some symptoms of dementia. This has been a piece of great news for patients living with dementia.
So, in which ways are cannabidiol important in reducing the symptoms of dementia?
Apprehension or Anxiety
This is one of the symptoms most patients suffering from dementia experience. But if you use CBD oil, I assure you that you will notice a reduction in your anxiety levels.
If you have ever interacted with patients who have dementia you will notice that they have memory loss. They tend to forget what they do in a short span.
Change in Behavior
When you have dementia, you experience change in behavior however, the use of cannabidiol can be very helpful in behavioral change.
This is another symptom that most dementia patients experience. But one of the benefits of CBD oil is reducing inflammation. Therefore, you can use a certain concentration of hemp oil to manage your inflammation symptom.
It has come to my attention that most people tend to believe that dementia is a disorder found in old people. This is not true as it can affect you at any time. No matter how young you are you can still develop dementia. Other factors that can lead to dementia include sex, genes, and contact with pollutants.
Share this post if you like it!