New to cooking more meals from home but have no idea where to start with stocking your kitchen?
You might be surprised that one of the first “ingredients” to stocking your kitchen to get you in the mood for cooking (and for doing it safely) is to purchase kitchen equipment essentials! This Kitchen Equipment Essentials guide is for the home cook (or share with a friend) if you are new to cooking, want to cook more from home, or to add some tools to your wedding registry or to revamp your current kitchen.
If you need support with healthy cooking from home, be sure to click here and get instant access to our free course helping you make healthy cooking from home delicious and simple.
Let’s get started!
Kitchen Equipment Essentials For The Home Cook
Essentials for Food Prep
Most important on this list is a good, sharp knife. There are really only three knives you need for your home. Here are a couple of our favorites options that don’t break the bank.
- An 8-inch Chef’s knife is the first on this list and for a good reason. It’s your most-used kitchen tool, so take good care of it. Keep it sharp, clean and dry and it will be your new best friend in the kitchen.
- A Bread Knife isn’t just for bread. We use ours for easily slicing through ripe tomatoes and other fruits.
- A Paring Knife is that handy little tool for when a chef’s knife is just too big. Perfect for peeling and cutting small vegetables and fruits.
Taking care of your knives and making sure they are sharp is essential and a Honing Steel is just what you need. You’ll be surprised by how much of a difference it makes when it comes to keeping your knives sharp.
- If the most important tool in your kitchen is your knife, then you better believe you need a Cutting Board. We love these particular boards because they are dishwasher safe and won’t slide around when you’re chopping and dicing!
- Metal Mixing Bowls may not be the most glamorous of kitchen tools, but they stack together perfectly to help keep your kitchen organized and are perfect for tossing a big salad or serving up popcorn.
- Stirring, mixing, scraping and flipping, these Silicone Spatulas are heat resistant and easy to clean. What’s not to like?
- Whether you’re mixing up batter for your favorite pancakes, or making the perfect healthy salad dressing, a good Wire Whisk is a perfect tool to get the job done.
- I’ve peeled a lot of fruits and veggies in my day and tried A LOT of peelers. These Kuhn Rikon peelers are the best, hands down.
Mortar and Pestle
- Mortar and Pestles have been around for thousands of years, and for good reason. Use it to grind spices and nuts. Make herb puree and pesto. We love our mortar and pestle.
- Whether baking or batch-cooking Measuring Cups are just what you need to make sure whatever you are making comes out balanced and delicious.
Fine Mesh Strainer
- Straining stock, rinsing veggies or rice or draining pasta. A Fine Mesh Strainer is just the tool for the job.
High Powered Blender
- The list of uses for this kitchen essential goes on and on. Long story short, we love our Vitamix blender. We use ours at least once a day. We even take it with us when we travel. Its is by far our most used kitchen item in our home, besides a chef’s knife.
Essentials for Cooking
Cooking is fun, and when you have everything you need and know where to find it, you can enjoy it even more. Here is our list of utility tools essentials to help you stock your kitchen like a pro.
- If I had to pick three kitchen items, a Dutch oven would be on that list. Like a good knife or a blender, I use our Dutch Oven every week. It’s the perfect tool for batch cooking, baking bread simmering soups and sauces. It’s a little pricey, but if you take care of it, your dutch oven will last generations.
- There are a TON of options when it comes to skillets and cookware and it can get confusing. We love cooking with Stainless Steel Cookware for their versatility and longevity. You can pop them in the oven and dishwasher and like many of the other items on this list, if you take care of them they will last a lifetime.
- We use a lot of water in recipes while cooking, have you ever thought about the water quality when adding water to recipes here or there? Just as drinking clean filtered water is important, so is cooking with it! We love the reverse osmosis AquaTru model after researching the pros and cons of the 6 most popular water filters on the market and highly recommend this for staying hydrated and using while cooking.
Rimmed Baking Sheet
- We’re big fans of sheet pan meals, and a Rimmed Baking Sheet is perfect for the job. These baking sheets have high edges so you can load them up with veggies, proteins, or cookies. Whatever your heart desires!
- A good Wooden Spoon will last you years if you take good care of it. It’s the perfect tool for tossing salads, stirring soups or sauteing veggies.
The Best Spatula Ever
- It took me a long time to find the Perfect Spatula and now that I have, I’ll never let it go. It’s the perfect shape to slide under whatever you’re trying to flip, toss, or transfer. It’s sturdy, slotted and the absolute best.
Essentials for Food Storage
We’re big advocates of batch cooking here at Nutrition Stripped. A large amount of the recipes we create are made specifically with batch cooking in mind. After spending time making meals for the week, make sure you are storing them safely and efficiently with these storage essentials.
- You put so much love into cooking, so keep it around longer. These Glass Containers have been a part of our food storage routine for a long as we can remember. They come in all sizes are perfect for keeping your food secure and organized.
Dry Storage Glass Jars
- An organized pantry makes everything better. These Glass Jars are perfect to store nuts, seeds, flour, coffee or pasta.
Reusable Stasher Bags
- It’s no secret that cutting back on single-use plastics is very important. That’s why we love these Stasher Bags! They are washable and reusable, and perfect for storing veggies, snacks and numerous other items.
Did we miss any Kitchen Equipment Essentials For The Home Cook? Let us know in the comments below or what your favorite equipment is to make healthy cooking from home, simple.